The claims system for the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS) went live on the 13 May, for eligible customers to begin to make their claims and we are pleased to say the first day of claims has proceeded smoothly. We appreciate the invaluable support you provide to your clients in helping them prepare to claim a grant under this scheme.
Please continue to help your clients by:
- talking them through why they may, or may not be eligible, drawing on our online guidance or through our daily webinars
- encouraging them to use the online checker (or using it on their behalf to check eligibility) – reminding them that they will need their Unique Taxpayer Reference number and their National Insurance number to do so
- encouraging clients who do not have their Government Gateway credentials to set them up online now
- reminding them that the date between 13 and 18 May, which they have been given, is assigned randomly in order to help HMRC manage demand on the service so that everyone who needs to make a claim can do so
- helping them understand that while they won’t be able to apply before their allocated claim date, they will be able to make a claim after that day
- supporting them to find other help available on GOV.UK, if they are not eligible for a grant under this scheme, and
The application process
When your clients begin the application process, they will be shown how HMRC has calculated the grant they are due to receive. Your clients will be able to share this calculation with you.
If you, or your client, wish to seek a review of HMRC’s calculation, you can do so on their behalf by logging on to your agent gateway account and submitting the online form available there using your client’s details.
Watch our animation on how to claim
We have created a short film to show step-by-step, what the claims process looks like. Please feel free to share this with your clients.